Sunday 18 November 2012

SCHOLARSHIP DAY 80: My last day in Fairbanks: Helping out at the annual Turkey Trot, my last visit to Downtown, final Alaskan Forest Hiking, GeoFest, and Saxophone Recital

Wow, have we really reached day 80? The last day here in Fairbanks? It's strange how one can get attached to a city, especially one thousands of miles away from home. For the last couple of months, Fairbanks has, I suppose, become my home; I have explored and consequently enjoyed every aspect that the city has to offer. But before I go off on a tangent about my Alaskan experience, I remember that I still have one more day to go. Tomorrow, I'm travelling by train from Fairbanks to Anchorage, and it's a journey I have been looking forward to, not because I'm becoming bored by my present location, but because the ride will offer me 12 hours of geographical diversity. But that's tomorrow; let me describe the frenetic day I've had.

I decided to pack as much as I could into this last day in Fairbanks and so voluntarily got up at 7am! This is going to be something of a norm for me when I head down the west coast of the US; I must ensure I use each day to its full potential! My Blueberry muffins that I so gladly made the other day have not yet had any negative effects on any of the hostellers that I know of, so this morning I decided to make one last batch. These came out even better than the other day's showing hopefully some marked improvement in my culinary skills. I even managed to get a photo of these ones!


The first event on my itenary was the annual Turkey Trot, and intrigued somewhat, I trotted myself down to the university, where it was supposedly taking place. I arrived slightly early, but there wasn't any activity happening and I wondered whether this was a pre-Thanksgiving joke. Well, I waited, and then spotted a small crowd huddling in a heated bus shelter over the road. Convinced they had something to do with the 'Turkey Trot', I wandered over there. It turned out that the 'trot' was actually a synonym for another cross country race, and the 'turkey' part was a reference to the holiday next week. The race was to be 3.4 miles, around the university campus, and back to this small hut.


Within minutes, they were off. By no means were any of the competitors trying to win, or lose for that matter. This was, furthermore, a special kind of race that I had not come across before. Competitors had to predict how long it would take them, and the runner with the closest predicted time would get a small cornish turkey. I was just about to head in the opposite direction to catch up with them half way through, when the only official- a guy called Andy- came up to me and asked whether I could help him when the runners came in. My job was specifically to hand out these little wooden cards with a place number on them; well, I accepted the task immediately, because it sounded more fun than my own plan. So there we were, waiting for the first runner, discussing each of our backgrounds. I found myself reminisce about the years of cross country I partook in, and noted a similarity: why is it that every race has to happen on the coldest of days?!


20 minutes or so elapsed and then the first runner came in: May Marschnee in a time of 24.26 minutes. Although she had officially come first in the race, her predicted time was 27.00. Would this be close enough to win overall? Well, sadly for her not. Pretra run a time of 29.42, predicted 30.00, and with only 18 seconds, was the closest and won the cornish turkey! It seemed then strange to give another cornish turkey to the person with the largest difference! I was perhaps even more amazed when Andy asked me to draw a number out of a hat at random and present that corresponding competitor with a full size turkey! Well, what else do you expect from a group of light hearted individuals who just enjoy the social aspects of running?


I then decided it was time to say goodbye to Downtown. I would do this by doing a complete loop on the Blue Line Bus Route; an hour's journey but well worth it, and I could keep warm too! Naturally as I made my way through the city outskirts, through Downtown and back out the other side towards the university again, I spotted various parts of Fairbanks that had made many of this scholarship's greatest memories. The Pioneer Park, Dennys, Imax Cinema, the City Musuem, McCaffeties Cafe, Golden Heart Plaza, the Visitor Centre, Birch Hill, Creamers Field, Tanana Farmer's Market...the list goes on and on. What about all those trips to Safeway and Fred Meyers! Even the most mundane of things; they all fit together to make an overall experience just wonderful!

Returning to the university, it was time to do my last little Alaskan forest hike, and to finish my tree trunk rubbings, after my prematurely finished session yesterday. I saw many more skiers than the other day, eventhough the sun was making it's quick descent below the horizon. I completed a couple of the tree trunk rubbings, and decided today to try and do it with my gloves on, which was partly successful eventhough I dropped many of the crayons into the snow! I now have a White Birch and two White Spruce tree trunk rubbings. On my way out the forest, I even managed to get hold of a layer of one White Birch's tree trunk. How long it will stay in its present condition, I don't know.


I exited the forest and made my way to the restrooms in a university building I hadn't been in much before, which is surprising because on my quick inspection, it dealt a lot with Geology! The building, like much of the campus, has been constructed with a contemporary feel. A resting place for students supposedly (and staff probably) was this large window. I spent a few minutes resting myself, beside the indoor plants, including a Cheese plant in a much better condition to the one I have to live with at home!


The Fairbanks Annual GeoFest was next on the list. Well, I'd been looking forward to this for some time, for obvious reasons! A special event to promote Geography, as part of Geography Awareness Week. Like the University Bazarre the other week, the Wood Centre was hosting it on both ground and first floor and I casually went round and chatted to some of the stall holders. The event seemed very much centered around a younger, pre-school audience, with colouring activities and large scale map exercises. Indeed, a lot of young people were there, ushered round by their parents. It's great to see a young population interested- or seemingly interested- in the concept of Geography! From the 1st floor balcony, the event looked very busy. What was bugging me was what that large blue dome was and how did it play a role in GeoFest!?


I asked a stall attendant, and she only hinted at the possibility that it was used for playing films and hosting other activities. I was just about to leave, satisfied with the event, when the lady at the desk asked whether I wanted to do the special treasure hunt, and win a globe ball! Well, it was my last day, so why not!? I had to go and find posters of five countries and get five corresponding stamps to earn my globe ball. I felt, suddenly, very young, as I was lining up for a stamp behind kids about 1/3 my age! Fortunately, the treasure hunt was not a difficult one and I was out, gripping my new globe ball, within about 15 minutes! What fun!


The last item on my itenary was the Saxophone recital. There's no sound like that of a saxophone, and today Frank Gamboa was showcasing his skills on this fine instrument. Piano accompaniment was provided, as always, by Lorna Eder. I don't know who I was more impressed by! Lorna had some very difficult passages to play! I very much enjoyed the concert and was slightly upset when it finished, as that would be the last Alaskan musical performance I would see on this trip! I took one last look at the Charles Davis Concert Hall and departed. On my way out, though, I recognised a familiar face; it was the one and only Lorna Eder! Finally, after all these months, I had met the lady in person. We spoke briefly; she had a stronger accent than I expected, but was a very lovely and warm character, and was positively interested in my scholarship.


I made my way to the bus stop. My last Fairbanks bus ride was coming up. Suddenly, the whole 'leaving thing' was becoming a reality. Not long now until that train ride. Not long really until that plane ride. The prospect of Seattle was now stronger than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment