Tuesday 13 November 2012

SCHOLARSHIP DAY 75: One more week in Alaska

It's not just my last week in Alaska, but it's also the start of Geography Awareness Week. (I don't know why, but I always forget about it.) It's probably because I feel, and have always felt, that in every week, we should be aware of the planet we live on. This year's theme is specifically 'Declare your Interdependance'. With this as our title, we're meant to consciously respect the fact that whilst we're individual in what we say, what we eat and what we read, simultaneously we fit into a much larger global society like a patchwork quilt. We each have our own 'patch' but it's how our patch affects others' that makes our planet's human geography extremely diverse.

It's incredible to think about all the ways Alaska's patch has affected me and mine. Within a week, I shall be departing this fantastic state, leaving with much more than I arrived with: an appreciation of real wilderness and wildness, a more insightful knowledge of Alaska's culture, and many memorable  life changing experiences that have, as a whole, dramatically changed the way I comprehend the planet. If you like, my Alaskan experience has made me more aware of Geography itself. Who needs a 'special week' when you have Alaska?

To rest after my Brooks Range trip, as Mondays seem to be accustomed to, I took a pause in my exploration, and spent most of the day with Meranda. She's leaving the hostel very soon, to return to her job at a local mine, so we decided to go to a local restaurant and see a film at the local IMAX cinema. Sometimes you have to have a day off, from time to time, to put your travels into perspective.

We set off for the Brewsters restaurant; a very agreeable eaterie, with a very varied menu. I don't want this post to become just a review of the place, but I must admit, tonight I had one of my best meals in America so far. Steak is very popular here in America, and whilst my medium rare could have stretched more towards the 'medium' than the 'rare', the dish was a taste sensation, (especially if you've been surviving on noodles, pizzas and pancakes!) My starter that consisted of six thai chilli chicken wings were also delicious! An overall, very enjoyable meal! The chocolate dessert was icing on the cake, if you forgive that awful attempt at a pun!




Skyfall, the latest Bond installment, was next on our list. It would mark the first Bond film I've seen in a different country, but also my first experience of IMAX. My overall cinematic experience was enhanced from the surround sound that the IMAX seems to incoperate, and on a Bond film, sound is incredibly important. I'm not going to reveal the plot, just in case you wish to see it soon, but I have got to say that it's probably my favourite Bond yet. A lot of twists, but I also enjoyed the vast extent of Britishness. For someone who misses Britain a lot, the film was a great reminder of why I am proud to call myself British.

I remember when I used to write about the 'Geography of James Bond' on this blog; there's much I can say about Skyfall. I'll let you watch and see for yourself though! Tomorrow, I shall re-commence my last explorations of Alaska's culture. I'm just about to head out now, in fact, as the Northern Lights look pretty impressive.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you eating more than just pancakes Dan!. If you think Brewsters Steaks are good - you've obviously never tried Christine's Liver, onion & sausage casserole with mash? mmmmmmm!

    Cheers
    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall have to try that...it sounds great! Hope both you and Christine are well, by the way.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete