Saturday 3 November 2012

SCHOLARSHIP DAY 65: First Fairbanks Friday and Trumpets in the evening

I sit here in my usual armchair, with a cup of tea and plate of biscuits, accompanied by Fleetwood Mac. It's 1:36am and everyone else here at Billie's Backpackers has gone asleep, bar the lady taking an early morning shower and the couple of young guests who strolled down to the Marlin Bar a couple of hours ago and haven't returned since. It's at times like this, these momentary periods of solitude, that I can reflect, not just on the day, but also on my whole experience in Alaska. I have just over two weeks left before I head down the US; 16 days before I leave this wonderful state. So, as you can imagine, eventhough the passivity of this empty hostel lounge makes me feel time has suddenly stood still, I am aware that it is, on the contary, racing past. November is flying by, and before I know it, I'll be flying too.

Today was the first Friday of November, and by tradition, that means a whole host of activities in Downtown. I remember, from what doesn't seem too long ago, attending October's First Friday events, and coming away impressed. Basically, Fairbanks uses these monthly events to showcase its local art and craft talent, for which this city thrives upon. Fairbanks is positively saturated in artists and photographers, craftsmen and craftswomen; all have one goal, and that is to share their passion and skills with the community. 

As I took the bus into Downtown, ready to view the art created by some very talented people, I was treated to Nature's very own art. High pressure meets low pressure; creating a bright band like a large lazer across the sky.


I started by walking around what perhaps can be called a Mall, but not by any means comparable to the ones you probably have become used to. In such a small place, this mall is densely packed with talent. Artwork is here, there, everywhere you turn, and beside their own creations stand the artists, eager (and perhaps sometimes anxious) to know what you think of their work. There's so much diversity too. In one shop, the theme is clearly Alaskan nature, with oils and watercolours from a lovely lady called Hana Esop. It almost looks like a photograph, but that's probably because a true Alaskan landscape, if you've been lucky enough to see one, is a bit like a painting.

In the background, as I make my way round, there is a young jazz band playing, and I walk past them as I venture upstairs. On the second floor of the mall, there are a couple of galleries, and one of them is showcasing the wonderful photographs of the Aurora Borealis. They make my photos look less than amateur! The gentleman responsible for this is a Ronn Murray and I suggest to check his website out, as he doesn't just deal with auroras, but also seminars, weddings and graduation ceremonies. A bit of an all-rounder; www.RonnMurrayPhoto.com

The theme was slightly different in the Morris Thompson Visitor Center, but this must be my favourite out of all the displays I saw tonight. Titled, "Unnatural Disasters", a group of artists had created sculptures out of rubbish; showcasing, as a result, the extortionate amount of rubbish we throw away everyday. A tsunami wave of bottles and a hurricane of plastic bags were on display, including a ornament made out of plastic spoons and a snowstorm of old mobile phones. Quite clever I thought.

 
 
Ah, the dash I had to make from the visitors center to the bus stop, was one frantic run through the city. Halfway throughout, I discovered I must have left my gloves in the visitors center (I really should use the security cord properly Mum) and had to rush back to retrieve. Running on ice is not to be advised, but in the circumstances, it was very necessary. I needed to get back to the university, you see, by 7:00pm for a very special Trumpet recital by Brian Cade.


There's something about the Trumpet; it can be a lovely instrument, but unfortunately, I just couldn't get into this performance, and I don't think it was necessarily Brian's fault, but his trumpet. From what I understand, too much water inside the trumpet can alter the sound negatively, and this seemed to be problem tonight. After each piece, Brian and Lorna (Lorna Eder being, once again, the piano accompaniment) went off, backstage, to discuss the issues. Ever or so often you would hear off stage trumpet sounds, as if this was a F1 race, and the machine was being worked on throughout a live performance.

So tonight, I've experienced a wide range of Fairbank's art. Some might think that I do this 'art viewing' because the city doesn't offer anything for the tourist to get up to. Not true. Fairbanks is a very diverse place, with something for everyone, but there is no doubt about how rich the city is when it comes to local artists. And there's nothing wrong with that. It maybe different from your ideal city, but then, travelling is all about visiting these unique locations; it widens scope for imagination, and makes you more of a well rounded traveller.

No comments:

Post a Comment