Wednesday 31 October 2012

SCHOLARSHIP DAY 62: Footprints in the Snow on Alaska's Birch Hill

The US Presidential Election is rapidly approaching, but the USA has this week demonstrated to the world that it is governed, not by people in suits that live in a large white building, but by the forces of Geography. From the recent earthquake in Seattle, on the west coast, to Hurricane Sandy in New York, on the east coast, USA's current geography is being studied all around the world, once again illustrating just how significant the subject is in contemporary society.

Interior Alaska, fortunately for me, is out of Sandy's path and isn't likely to experience an earthquake, so today was yet another day of exploration, and after yesterday's leisurely day, I considered that a good walk was perhaps best. I've been meaning to visit Birch Hill ever since Bill and Sarah suggested I take a trip up there many weeks ago, but have seldom found the opportunity until today. Birch Hill is on the periphery of Fairbanks downtown and offers (after a bit of a walk) a lovely panoramic view of the city skyline. Well worth a visit considering today was another clear day.


Birch Hill's primary role though is not necessarily a viewing area for tourists, but a cemetry. From a map, and from my window seat on the bus this morning, it didn't look difficult to get to, but oh how wrong I was. I didn't get lost as such as I knew where I was all the time, but it was more of a case of walking down roads leading to dead ends; it seemed like any route I took led me to a wire meshed fence and no option but to turn back and try another. At one point, I ended up walking around what turned out to be a Ford garage; the salesman, coming out, was just about to commence a long and detailed list of specifications about each car on display, so I upped my pace and tried to find the exit.

Well, I did eventually reach Birch Hill. The narrow gate leading into the cemetry stood underneath this large snow dusted Birch tree, so opening the gate, getting through and closing it without also getting a white dusting, was a tough operation. Still, I contortioned my body and managed it successfully and before long I was making footprints in the snow on Alaska's Birch Hill.


The cemetry was larger than I expected, and despite most of it looked well maintained, I was the only one there. There's something about walking in cemetries; reading the dates and working out how long people lived for. I walked around Anchorage's cemetry on my first full day in Alaska. (It seems like months ago now, but then, it is indeed nearly three months ago.)


From the top of Birch Hill, I could spot many of the city's familiar landmarks, and the mountain range. It's from this hill, that you appreciate the rather flat topography of Fairbanks' cityscape, and the surrounding mountain ranges are perhaps emphasised even more. The US Army veteran section of the cemetry is in the foreground, adorned by the country flag.


Ok, so it's not hiking in the mountains, but it's still exploration. Today I explored a new part of Fairbanks and perhaps Birch Hill's solitude, which is only temporarily punctuated by the familiar tunes of bird song, makes it just as inspiring as a mountain range. Perhaps this is a different kind of wilderness..

No comments:

Post a Comment