Friday 19 October 2012

SCHOLARSHIP DAY 50: Music at One, another Red Fox sighting, Superb Sunset, and the Fairbanks Fall Frolic

50 days in Alaska, eh?

For a long time, back in England, I was worrying that this scholarship would fly by, but on the contrary, it has not just been fantastic in every little way so far, but it's also gone at an enjoyable pace. The last 50 days, I'm sure I don't have to tell you, have made some of my greatest memories, and I'm sure the next 50 will be just as good.

Despite this scholarship anniversary, I didn't really celebrate in the way of an 'extra pancake' this morning nor did I add an extra spoonful of hot chocolate mix in my mug. In actual fact, I'm still without Maple Syrup and to add to the list of 'essential things missing', my metal spatula that I use to turn the pancakes has also gone walkies.

Just as forecasted, the weather didn't disappoint today. Gone are the nimbus clouds, and it was great to welcome the sun back to Fairbanks, along with blue sky. With the snow still in tact, and the sun beaming through the gaps in between the trees, there were many photo opportunities. Walking along College Road today was a tearful one; not because I've only got one more month in Alaska, but because the sunlight was reflecting off the snow on the pavement, and making my eyes water. I worried whether these unstoppable tears would freeze in my eyes, (yes, I was silly to consider that) but with the temperature only -8 degrees C, I was safe.


From the university, the view of snow sprinkled trees was something to behold.


As is the case every Thursday, the 'Music at One' concert would take place in the Charles Davis Concert Hall, and I slowly made my way there. Only a couple of times, did I almost slip on the ice which wouldn't have been a very smooth thing to do in front of other university students, so you can understand my relief when I fhad my feet firmly on carpet; that is, the carpet of the concert hall, where frantic stage modifications were still taking place.

After last week's Flower Pot piece, it was a refreshingly traditional set list: the Clarinet made an appearance, as did the Violin, the Trumpet and a Soprano came out for good measure. As per usual, Lorna Eder was on hand with the piano accompaniment, and once again, the question "How does she learn all these difficult pieces" sprang to mind.

I decided to go on a midday walk and take full advantage of the glorious weather. On the way, I passed these clusters of red berries, all topped with a serving of snow like my hot chocolates are topped with squirty cream. All they needed was a flake and maybe some 'hundreds and thousands'.


I took a new route through the forest; or at least, I thought it was a new route. With all this snow, if you've seen one tree, you've seen them all, and this monotony in the landscape made me a little unsure if I was indeed going in the right way. Still, the enjoyment is in the challenge and bearing this in mind, I continued on through the winding and glittering depths of the recently snow-dusted forest.


Returning to the road, after spotting it from a trail, I got my bearings again and as I was doing so, I spotted red fur out of the corner of my eye. Was this the red fur of a Red Fox? Well, an inconsiderate car came round the corner and confirmed my suspicions; the fox upon hearing the loud bass music that was blaring out of the motor, took one look at me and then ran off into the distance. Well, determined as ever to get a photo and in no hurry to get back, I followed it and before long, it was there to greet me again. I thanked the fox for being so obliging, and walked to the Wood Centre, to catch a bus back to the hostel.


Lunch took the form of a few nutella chocolate sandwiches and a few biscuits, complimentary of Bill and Sarah who so lovingly left a shelf of food for me before they left. I spent an hour on admin work, before heading out again. This time, downtown.

The Fairbanks Fall Frolic was taking place and for those who haven't got a clue what that could mean, it was an event designed to get families out and about, in downtown, trickle treating. If they dressed up (made a dedicated effort in some way to look scary, in other words) they could receive a bag of sweets from participating shops. Well, I walked for about an hour around the city, and didn't see one witch or wizard. I've got to admit hearing a few screams, and I excitedly got my camera out to take a picture of the ghost or goblin, but it turned out to be just an ordinary city member who had had a bit too much to drink. Determined that it should now be named the Fairbanks Fall Frolic Fail, I disappointedly left for the bus station. On the way, however, I was treated to something spectacular, and it turned out my efforts on going downtown on a cold winters night were not wasted after all.


Tomorrow, I have another fieldtrip planned with another area of the university, and so an early night awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment