Wednesday 3 October 2012

SCHOLARSHIP DAY 34: A trip to the North Pole (but not as you know it!)

After having a relaxing day yesterday, after my visit to the North Pole the day before, it was great to be offered to go to Daniel's leaving meal. Daniel (another one) drove us to the Arctic Circle; he's a lovely gentleman, and although I've known him less than a week, it feels like I've known him all my life. His leaving meal was to take place at Pike's Landing, a lovely little establishment along the Chena River. Inside, it looked like a typical Norfolk pub that I have had the pleasure to dine in over the last 18 years; log burner, rustic tables and 'nice' music. You know what I mean!


Today, I said goodbye to Daniel and decided to spend my day at North Pole. Not 'the North Pole' though. It was about a half an hour journey on bus from downtown Fairbanks, and according to fellow hostellers, is certainly one to visit if you have time. I've also purchased a monthly bus pass now, and although it is $36, it should save me at least $60 on bus fares this month.


North Pole is a small city, smaller than Fairbanks, and is 1700 miles from the real one. Most housing is wooden and rustic, with the occasional house made out of concrete, aswell as the main plaza offering Safeway as a shopping option and a hotel for those staying the night. Fast food outlets are unmissable; McDonalds hits you just as you enter, with Pizza Hut and a burger bar only a few hundred yards away. The first interesting feature that caught my eye were the lamp posts, which reminded me of candy canes.


These traditional Christmas candy canes were just one of the many festive decorations that North Pole has to offer. I suppose being called what it is, it feels obliged to remain festive throughout the year. As I continued my explorative walk, I realised the city was serious about its festive theme. These hung from every post on 5th Avenue.


The lamp post decorations were only a taste though of what was to come. Indeed, the main highlight of the city was the Santa Claus Village. You can't miss it; the attractive wooden building is set behind two very large statues of Santa. Although the name uses 'village', most of the buildings are Christmas themed shops. As I entered, I realised I had stumbled upon a real treat. Red and white warm woolen winter wear were stacked ready for the Christmas shopping rush, large furry toys for kids were packaged in preparation for the season, and Christmas trees everywhere I looked. The shopkeepers were dressed up perhaps to look like Santa's little helpers, and perhaps most seasonal of all, traditional Christmas tunes were being played in the background. I try not to listen to Christmas tunes if I can help it, but I couldn't help but wander around the shop, humming along.


There was not one bare wall in the shop, for each face of the building was covered in children's letters to Santa. I spent some time reading them. Comparing them with what I remember putting in mine all those years ago, you can see just how the world has changed, even over the last 15 years. This was especially the case in terms of technology. Whereas I was asking for books and fluffy toys, many on the walls today were asking Santa for Wii games, Acer Laptops, and Play Stations.

Outside the shop, was another Reindeer farm, but it was somewhat smaller than the one I had seen near the university. I noticed on some of the Reindeer patches of blood, but signs on the fence seemed to acknowledge this and notified visitors that this was common for the time of the year. Reindeer grow new antlers which is something I didn't know until today.

No comments:

Post a Comment