Wednesday 26 September 2012

SCHOLARSHIP DAY 27: All things bright and beautiful!

Diurnal changes in the weather are becoming very much the norm here in Fairbanks; after a cold start yesterday, I woke up to somewhat mild conditions today. It seems overnight I have made the local press; well, I'm featured in a photo that was taken yesterday on the 'Paint the Pipes' walking tour. I have cut it out, and will bring it home, but for now, settle with this! (I'm the one in the red coat.)


I spent the morning transcribing the conversation I had with Vladimir Romanovsky, yesterday. Listening back, I'm even more impressed by the professor's knowledge around the subject of permafrost and I'm very glad I met him. You can now read our conversation by clicking the link in the right hand column of this blog; geographers and people interested in permafrost or climate change should certainly give it a read.

By the time I had done that, and had what I suppose one would call brunch, the time had flown by. Eating my self-made pancakes, I got chatting to Sarah and Bill; two very experienced backpackers that have gone all over the world, and have seen some wonderful things. They remarked on their experiences with the Greyhound Coaches, saying that they are nothing to fear, although having said this, they did comment on the time that a drug squad came onto the bus. I have now heard two different opinions regarding the Greyhound transport, but when I do eventually travel down the US west coast, I will have to make my mind up for myself.

So, the day was zooming by, and I still hadn't got out. In glorious sunshine, I finally left the hostel (at about 2pm) and went straight to speak to Ronald Daanen, a professor in the Water and Environmental Research Centre. Being a geographer, you would have thought I would have had  no problems finding his office, but the task proved too challenging and I was walking around, down stairs, up stairs, in lifts and through corridors. Throughout my search, I stumbled upon a group of students having a small buffet. The whole set up was most strange; a couple of tables set up in the middle of a corridor. Thinking I was a student in the Electrical Engineering Department, they asked me if I wanted either a coffee or a fruit punch. Well, it's not everyday you get offered fruit punch, so I did take up the offer. I must admit to enjoying it a little too much, and kindly asked for a refill. It's not the first time, and certainly won't be the last time, that I am thought of as a University of Fairbanks student, and offered these 'student advantages'.

I did finally find Ronald Daanen's office. Ronald is providing me with a fieldwork opportunity in a couple of weeks time, in the Brook's Range. I'll tell you more about it in a few days, but I'm going to be going away for a weekend with a crew of hydrologists and taking slope-related measurements. It will be, I reckon, an experience of a lifetime. More on that, as I say, later on.

The rest of the day I decided to take fairly easy, and so I wandered down to the University Botanical Gardens. What a lovely place for tranquility. It's set in a valley, next to several fields. Tractor wheel marks suggest these fields are used for cultivation, although there's not much evidence of production here at the moment. Some of the gardens are lovely; there's not too much in the way of landscaping, although there are many walkways, timber bridges and an arch decorated with climbers, none of which I could identify myself.


There was obviously some bare soil, where annual flowers that had come to the end of their yearly life, had been dug up. Having said that, some perrenials were thriving; bees and wasps were present, even a butterfly.


As-well as the plants, the trees- especially the Maples- were in fine colour, and were attracting an array of different kinds of birds. Squirrels perched on branches, chomping away, and I even saw an English Oak.


I had heard these gardens hadn't received adequate funding, and so heavily rely on volunteers. Although I did see wheelbarrows being wheeled here and there, there was a lot of deadheading to be done. I spoke to a groundskeeper who stated that there was a strong army of very willing volunteers helping with the day to day tasks, but I have to admit to having reservations.

 
Can you spot the squirrel?

The journey back to the hostel was a lovely one, in the low afternoon sun. I even treated myself to a pizza; the 'Neopolitan' which despite being one of the cheapest, was actually very nice indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment