Monday 26 September 2011

UK Young Geographer of the Year Competition

The 'Geographical' magazine published an interesting competition in one of its editions earlier on this year. It asked all young geographers aged 16-18 to write a 1500 word essay on 'what all good geographers should understand.' I was immediately jotting down ideas on the page from the moment of reading the entry details, and now after many weeks, have churned out an entry! I'm going to submit it and you never know, do you?! I find the concept of 'Geographical Thought' exceedingly interesting; how and why geographers think they way they do. Carl Sauer suggested "everything in the landscape is interrelated." This theme has become an important one in the development of my essay, as has the concept of 'geological time', 'concept and theory experimentation' and the notion of 'geographical curiosity', which I think is the most important of all. After all, the greatest geographers were not born with the answers; there was a complex route to discovery involved that evolved from observation or curiosity. I will be sure to let you know if the entry is successful! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. I was going to enter too but I'm only 15, sounds like a great idea - watch people don't copy it!

    ReplyDelete