Friday 11 January 2013

Press: Article on my scholarship

Whilst I was away, the Just North Walsham magazine published an article I had sent them from Alaska. In the next few weeks, I shall be sending a follow-up for them, and will also be speaking to press officers from both the Great Yarmouth Mercury, the North Norfolk News and the Eastern Daily Press.

Read the article below:

I've only spent a couple of months, surrounded by the beauty of America's largest state, tasting the native culture and soaking up the purity of the landscape. It's sheer diversity is like no other place I've visited. From the panorama of the tundra, to the grandeur of the Denali Range, I've been lucky to travel to some of its most spectacular scenes, including North America's highest mountain: Mount McKinley. It's a state where I've found myself hiking through the Boreal forest during the day, and surveying the elegant Northern Lights at night. With a thirst for Physical Geography,  Alaska has fulfilled a dream and I've had the opportunity to skip stones on the Yukon river, hike glaciers,  and watch Sea Lions sunbathe on Basalt extrusions.  Alongside my excursions through wilderness, I've also had the fortune of experiencing the diversity of Alaskan culture. My stay in the quaint, colourful harbour town of Seward will be a segment of the tour I will never forget, and likewise, Homer as it continues to inspire the tourist with its warming community, local art and handmade craft. 
For the majority of Alaska, the tourist season is over and a long winter is ahead. But I'm eager to taste what a true Alaskan winter is like and despite the uncomfortable numb fingers and toes, I've watched the leaves of White Birch slowly transform the Fairbanks' forest canopy from a lush green into a rich orange, and observed how one by one they float down to carpet the forest floor. Flora aside, the fauna is just as inspiring. I've cycled past a Moose, spotted a Killer Whale from a cruise boat, seen a Black Bear from a train and walked to within one meter of a Bald Eagle.
In such a small space of time, I've had an experience of a lifetime, and it's enhanced my zeal for exploration. Whilst it has developed me as a person, it's ultimately made me appreciate just how diverse the world is, and right now, I feel so lucky to be a part of it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment