Saturday 31 December 2011

Dan's Geography Review of the Year 2011

By the time this post gets published, many parts of the world would have already celebrated the turning of a new year and it won't be too long before you and I will be doing just the same. Champagne will be doing the rounds; resolutions will be made; the air will be illuminated with a wash of colours. If you're anything like me, you'll probably sing...well, hum... the tune to Auld Lang Syne. It's a great song that starts off by calling out to society to remember long standing friendships.

But it isn't just friendships we should remember. Although it's not a particularly celebratory notion to consider, we should all take time to pause and remember what we live on. A planet that is very much alive.

Earth is the most dynamic, I think it is fair to say, out of all of the planets in our Solar System. On October 31st this year, the UN declared a population of 7 billion. With such a large population, it's easy to take for granted the foundations of life; the bare rock that life evolved on; the very reason for our own existence. In a year where global emissions rose at a faster rate for four decades, perhaps we're forgetting that we're residents on what is becoming an unstable planet. Our non renewable resources are depleting; Arctic Sea Ice has melted to a historic low; we still live in a world with poverty and war. In short, an unsustainable lifestyle. But then again, we're all doing it so who else is there to tell us to stop?

Sometimes, however, the planet itself reminds us to consider the consequences of our actions. There's no doubt, 2011 has had its fair share of natural disasters. From the Japan earthquake and tsunami, to flooding in Thailand; from mudslides in Rio de Janeiro to tropical storms in the Phillipines, Earth has reminded us, not through a Scottish song, but through real-life crisis, to take a step back and think about how we conduct our lifestyles. 

Scientific study continues and geographers around the world today will be reviewing what a fantastic year it has been for research. NASA has produced the most precise map of carbon stored in our tropical forests and scientists from Britain and France have released a plan to drill all the way down to the Earth's mantle.

The study of Geography in schools and colleges, I think, is at its best ever. With internet and some of the most sophisticated of technology, young geographers can access a whole range of detailed case studies from all around the world just with a few clicks. Maps are becoming more accurate and more students are getting better grades than ever before.

For me, personally, 2011 has been one of the best years of my life. I have received the chance to work with the Royal Geographical Society and have already started on planning what should be a truly memorable experience. That aside, I have travelled far and wide this year. Trips to Prague and Morocco, and my filming around certain regions of the country has made me more, I suppose, wise and certainly more knowledgeable.

What will 2012 bring? For the planet, who knows? I, myself, have got lots of plans. 2012 will be one of the busiest years of my life so far, as I embark on many projects. I will be spending most of July filming around every corner of Britain for the 'RevGeog' Project. Planning for Alaska will take place, and it won't be long before I set off!

Thankyou very much to everyone- Geographers and Non-Geographers (although everyone's a geographer) - for your continued support, and many thanks to those who regularly check my blog. Since it's evolution, I have received 1643 page views. The most popular post being my 'exciting news' about Alaska, with my article on 'Britain's Parks' at a close second and the difference between mist and fog at third place. I hope you have enjoyed reading it as much as I have writing it.

It leaves me to wish you a very Happy New Year and Best Wishes for 2012.

1 comment:

  1. slightly biased i guess but nonetheless a great peice, really enjoyed it.

    great blogspot too! even if i don't visit often enough!

    best wishes to you Dan for 2012,
    stay healthy and may you continue to enjoy your geography wherever it takes you.

    with our very best wishes, the old codgers

    ReplyDelete